Re: [LUG] Laptop as a desktop replacement

Rob Beard wrote:
> On 22/04/10 15:57, NW wrote:
>
>> I have had a look but ...
>>
>> I am looking for a desktop replacement. That being so I feel that I
>> would need a large screen, at least 17". That would normally include a
>> separate keypad, something I use regularly on my dekstop computer.
>> Perhaps I should add that, at my age, I need all the visual help I can
>> get. And I should have included all that in my original post. Sorry,
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Neil
>>

> Ahh, in that case I can't really help much.  Doing a quick search of
> Dell's site (under Home) it lists a Dell Studio 17 laptop from £579.
>
> It's also worth bearing in mind, 17" laptops are VERY heavy.

Yes, I realise that. Since my idea is to replace the desktop computer
any laptop I buy will be treated like one. That is, it will normally be
sat on a desk or table and left there more or less permanently. So
weight is not really relevant.

> To be honest though you could get a reasonable spec PC with a much
> bigger monitor for that.  For instance a friend of mine bought a HP
> Pavillion Desktop with something like 22" widescreen LCD monitor which
> had a Pentiumm Dual Core CPU (about 2.6Ghz), 3GB Ram and a 1TB hard
> drive for around £450 from PC World.
>
> Of course it might help if you had a budget in mind, then we might be
> able to suggest other alternatives (or you could opt for a netbook with
> external USB keyboard, USB mouse and VGA monitor).
>
> Rob

Yes, I do realise that I could get a more powerful desktop computer for
the same or less than a laptop. My current computer is working well. It
is just that it all takes up so much room and our family has grown. We
have acquired three grandchildren in the last five years. And when they
all come to stay ... !!!

Several friends, and also my son, no longer possess a desktop computer
at all, they just have one laptop, shared by the family. And they all
seem happy. I admit that none of them has a large screen version, but
then they are all younger than me!!

Neil