Re: [LUG] most graphically impressive live-cd - for a windows user to try

Henry Bremridge wrote:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:44:45AM +0100, tom wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
apt-get install screen
I actually meant one ala 'win2.1' which would not bother with
pointless graphic effects, but would provide the basic X hooks to
ncurses with mouse support - if that makes sense - kinda like
xfce/kde/gnome but with just text.

How do you soffice (gnumeric) running with screen... can you get soffice
/ gnumeric running with screen?
I thought 'screen' was for simple shell type windows?

But to answer your question - if you drop 'graphics' then something like gnumeric would work perfectly well in a text mode (apart from graphics and silly fonts etc). If you've ever seen the 'alternate' install menus for linux you'll know what I mean - all the 'essential' parts are there: text boxes, drop down lists (and hence menus) ,scroll bars, highlighting, drag and drop ,message boxes, colour and mouse control but on a 'text' based screen. So all the 'essentials' are there, but as far as I know, no-one has attempted to take the leap from (n)curses menu built programs to the next logical level(s) which (say) can do what you would call window management. You could make a simple (recursive) IDE to help you design these things as well - and if you port ncurses to javascript you could do the same in a browser... The only real problem would be taking a program for X and (in a sort of jit type of way) working out how to replace the clickable icons with something texty.
Add mouse 'gestures' and whooooo
(and yes I do have sc... :) but that is a pain for larger spreadsheets)

large spreadsheets are a pain anyway you look at them - why do you think people went to all the trouble of developing compilers and sensible design methodologies?
Tom te tom te tom