Re: [LUG] Laptop puzzle

NW wrote:
> Dan Dart wrote:
>>> I do have a Fn key on the laptop. I will have a play with it to see what
>>> happens. However the functions keys seem to work without needing the Fn
>>> key pressed. For example I can do Alt-F2 to bring up the launcher.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>
>>> --
>

>> Fn is for the blue or purple functions. You don't need to press Fn for
>> Function keys.
>
> Well, the keyboard on my laptop does not have any blue or purple
> characters on any key.
>
> I will research Fn on Google.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

After further research ...

On my laptop (Compaq Presario) there is a Fn key, but no coloured extra
items on any key. After research via Google, there are some extra items
on each of the Function keys. These are called up using the Fn key. As
an example Fn and F5 puts the machine on standby mode.

However, of course, these work on Windows only. So the Fn key is of no
use to me at all. This laptop was given to me recently so I can't
grumble. It is something I will look out for if I ever decide to buy a
laptop to replace my desktop machine, which I a considering.

Neil