Re: [LUG] most graphically impressive live-cd - for a windows user to try

Roland Tarver wrote:
Dear Dan, Rob and Kevin,

Thank you for your advice/comments :-)

I have now downloaded the latest version of mint and stuck it on a cd.
I booted it on my (normally ubuntu) machine and it worked a treat. It
looks good and as Rob suggested the layout is quite windows-like; plus
all of the sound and video (proprietary things) should hopefully work
for Ian too - with no fuss.

I will let you know if he goes for it! - many thanks.

Best wishes
roly

Good luck. As far as I know Mint isn't that much different to Ubuntu and Debian (since well it's based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian). Might be worth keeping a copy handy though if he does go for it just in case he phones you with problems. I've found from experience it's handy to have a copy of the distro either installed or available on a Live CD (or even an ISO image kicking around to boot in VirtualBox) as then you can try and replicate the issue yourself or see pretty much what options they have (this helped the other day when my step-dad had some problems on his new laptop and I was able to tell him exactly what to click without having to remember).

Rob