Re: [LUG] most graphically impressive live-cd - for a windows user to try

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, tom wrote:

I cant be sure but I get the impression everything is a bit OTT. My viglen/LXFE machine seems a lot lot slower that my old 50Mhz 486/XFCE despite having a cpu that should be at least 15 times the power and running a lot less. It could be an illusion but I dont think so...

It's a whinge I have too - Basically, work productivity doesn't seem to have improved since the days of glass TTYs..

I started with FVWM back in the days of X terminals off a Sun - then it was pretty and feature-packed and nicer to use than TWM or Suns olvwm. My first Linux system was in about 1995 and it came with FVWM too. I still use it today...

Boring screen-shot at http://unicorn.drogon.net/boring.png

But what have we had since then... Screens have gotten slightly bigger (but not by much - I was using a 1280x1024 colour X terminal in 1994) and we've had prettys like rounded corners, 3D effects, transparency and so on. Also this new fangled thing called the world wide web has happened...

Had it improved productivity? Who knows...
I do - and it hasn't. Being slightly 'more stylish' than your competitor gives you a very small advantage. When you devote all your life to keeping just ahead in the style 'space' then real productivity drop.

I've tried other WMs. KDE, Gnome, Xfce and I just don't get them at all - even though I was a huge advocate of Macintosh in their early days.

The current WM's seem to have added bits & bobs and general bloatyness - bigger files take longer to get off disk, but processors are faster, so who's winning here? (other than the processor manufacturers!) For your average punter, do you actually need a spinning cube with a fishtank inside? It's pretty, but is it going to make you work faster or more efficiently?

Anyone know of a curses X window manager?

apt-get install screen
I actually meant one ala 'win2.1' which would not bother with pointless graphic effects, but would provide the basic X hooks to ncurses with mouse support - if that makes sense - kinda like xfce/kde/gnome but with just text.
Tom te tom te tom