Re: [LUG] most graphically impressive live-cd - for a windows user to try

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 14:36 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 01:51:37PM +0100, Roland Tarver wrote:
> > Hi Folks
> >
> > A good friend of mine, Ian, is buying a new laptop and a new desktop.
> > The laptop is for his wife to do her uni work on and the desktop is
> > for him to play games on - he is a big gamer.
> >
> > We have had a brief conversation about linux and I have managed to
> > persuade him to try a live CD. Ian and the rest of his family are used
> > to a GUI. He has no knowledge (yet) of the command line.
> >
> > What I want to do is show linux off by using a really *nice looking*
> > live-cd. If I can tempt Ian with a sexy GUI, then perhaps I can get
> > him to dual boot and begin his linux journey.
> >
> >  I was thinking perhaps linux mint?, but wondered what everyone else thought?
>
> I'd say Mint too, it's more Windows-like than Ubuntu.  or you could try Ubuntu
> 10.04 although it's possible the changes to the window controls might be
> offputting.
>
> I'd also consider a KDE based live CD, not entirely sure what is out there, I
> believe maybe PCLinuxOS has a KDE desktop.
>
> thing is, if you're going to be supporting it, I'd suggest something you're
> comfortable with (which helps when things go wrong).
>
> Rob

I'd say Mint too
Ive just put it on a Dell Latitude XT laptop (used to have Vista
Business) And with the Desktop effects add to panel the Windows switcher
and Cube it looks great!

I had to fiddle with the Broadcom 4231 wireless through an update whilst
plugged in to a network  but now it's fine.

Get it all working Live and then use AptonCd to burn the Install disk

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
Po House, Minions,