Re: [LUG] most graphically impressive live-cd - for a windows user to try

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 3:16 PM, kevin <kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 14:36 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 01:51:37PM +0100, Roland Tarver wrote:
>> > Hi Folks
>> >
>> > A good friend of mine, Ian, is buying a new laptop and a new desktop.
>> > The laptop is for his wife to do her uni work on and the desktop is
>> > for him to play games on - he is a big gamer.
>> >
>> > We have had a brief conversation about linux and I have managed to
>> > persuade him to try a live CD. Ian and the rest of his family are used
>> > to a GUI. He has no knowledge (yet) of the command line.
>> >
>> > What I want to do is show linux off by using a really *nice looking*
>> > live-cd. If I can tempt Ian with a sexy GUI, then perhaps I can get
>> > him to dual boot and begin his linux journey.
>> >
>> >  I was thinking perhaps linux mint?, but wondered what everyone else thought?
>>
>> I'd say Mint too, it's more Windows-like than Ubuntu.  or you could try Ubuntu
>> 10.04 although it's possible the changes to the window controls might be
>> offputting.
>>
>> I'd also consider a KDE based live CD, not entirely sure what is out there, I
>> believe maybe PCLinuxOS has a KDE desktop.
>>
>> thing is, if you're going to be supporting it, I'd suggest something you're
>> comfortable with (which helps when things go wrong).
>>
>> Rob
>>
> I'd say Mint too
> Ive just put it on a Dell Latitude XT laptop (used to have Vista
> Business) And with the Desktop effects add to panel the Windows switcher
> and Cube it looks great!
>
> I had to fiddle with the Broadcom 4231 wireless through an update whilst
> plugged in to a network  but now it's fine.
>
> Get it all working Live and then use AptonCd to burn the Install disk
>
> Regards
>
> Kevin Lucas

Dear Dan, Rob and Kevin,

Thank you for your advice/comments :-)

I have now downloaded the latest version of mint and stuck it on a cd.
I booted it on my (normally ubuntu) machine and it worked a treat. It
looks good and as Rob suggested the layout is quite windows-like; plus
all of the sound and video (proprietary things) should hopefully work
for Ian too - with no fuss.

I will let you know if he goes for it! - many thanks.

Best wishes
roly