Re: [LUG] signs

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Rhia Knowles wrote:

HTML Screwdriver, is that like a Sonic one?

Gordon, if you bring in Lenny I wouldnt mind a demo. I tried an LXDE
Debian CD I found but it wasnt a liveCD so i decided not to proceed.
At the time i had a finicky Wifi PMCIA that needed ndiswrapper most of
the time so i decided not to bother. Now both machines have linux
friendly ones.

The problem with me giving a demo, is that I'm going to give a demo of my own rather (probably) non-standard way of doing things (if indeed there is a standard!)

Debian is just another distro - it has older, stable components rather than leading edge - so OO is version 2.4 for example.

And then I believe in doing weird things like partitioning disks, compiling a custom kernel, running a 17 year old window manager called FVWM and so on... (Actually fvwm2 which is a bit more modern, but I started with fvwm in 1994 on an X terminal off a SunOS box)

And I've no idea how Debian does Wi-Fi ... I installed wicd from an external source to get wi-fi to work on my laptops...

If you want to give it a go yourself, then start here:

  http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

But I'm more than happy to show you Debian, but it won't be like any Debian you've ever seen before, nor will again. Debian gives you the choice of about a dozen window managers - you don't need to pick their preferred one. Same for email transport systems - their preferred one is exim, I choose sendmail, and other Debian using list member seems to like postfix, and so on.

The same would be true of any Linux, (and probably FreeBSD, Solaris, etc.) distribution I use - and that's where me and the Linux (users) world tend to disagree on lots of things....

It's good to have choice though, and even better to know how to exercise that choice!

Gordon

Ps. ndiswrapper? Just say no. Get one supported natively in the kernel or not at all.