Re: [LUG] signs

Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 16:55:44 +0000
> Simon Robert wrote:
>

>> this is the problem. even the poster will be confusing. a use linux
>> poster pretty much amounts to a "Use a PC" poster, because one someone
>> asks "OK I'll try linux" you'll have to go off on a "do you want to
>> use Redhat, Kubuntu, Mint, Ubuntu, Slackware" converstion by which
>> time your questioner will have given up and gone home.
>>
>> OK. Ubuntu is not the only distro, but it is easy to use, easy to
>> install and easy to demo. If you manage to get someone to use it that
>> is the time to explain there are other distros. That is the time to
>> get into the ideological angels dancing on home made CDs.
>>

> Or... and this is just a suggestion here...
>
> USER: Yeah, I'll give Linux a try.
> LUG Member: Ok, since this is your first Linux adventure, I'd recommend
>             Ubuntu.  There are others around, and you're welcome to
>             give them a go, but for now I'd recommend Ubuntu to start
>             with.
> USER: OK, cool.
>

>> Keep it simple! Here is an easy to use, install OS that will do
>> everything you need and it is free! Questions about why is it free and
>> so on will follow. Once people are using linux they may, or may not
>> (my mother and next door neighbour (happy users of ubuntu and kubuntu
>> respectively) show a marked reluctance to hear me explain about other
>> distros they might like - "no Simon, what you installed works great is
>> there any pressing reason why I need to switch again?". Once they have
>> software installed that does all the stuff they need they're not even
>> interested in looking at alternative apps (unlike you and me whole
>> download anything to take a look at it).
>>
>> For most people OS's and apps are as enthralling as makes of
>> dishwashers. This is what needs to be remembered when trying to "flog"
>> linux. "Here is a cheaper slicker free dishwasher" - great! "I can
>> offer you a choice of 15 free dishwashers, some have copyright
>> components, some don't". "Some of them will be trickier to use than
>> your current one, but you'll catch on fast..." - don't think so.
>>
>> Simon
>>

> I agree.  No need to overwhelm the user in the initial stages, but
> equally this is not an Ubuntu User Group, so giving people 1 option is
> not really acceptable.  *Recommending* a specific option and hinting at
> the fact that there are others could well work though.
>
> Grant.

Linux distros are "horses for courses" . There is no such thing as the
"one size fits all" distribution of any operating system.  Look at
windows ... after years of Microsoft telling the public that linux was
too confusing because of all the different distributions they now
release 7 different versions of their own operating system.

The diversity of distributions (of GNU/Linux) is a tribute to the
recognition of the fact that there is no such thing as an "average
user". While general distributions like ubuntu can satisfy a large set
of users, it will never (and should never) be the only distribution.

There are clear reasons why corporations prefer the certification
programs like Red Hat or Suse.
There are clear reasons why home user might prefer Ubuntu.
There are cautious users (like myself) who like the stability and
community spirit behind debian.
"Media" industry users might prefer Ubuntu Studio.
There are those that like the "purity" of GnuSense .
For those that have limited resources DSL (Damn Small Linux) or similar
distros are a useful tool.

Luckily we have sites like distrowatch to help us choose what is "right"
for us. But ultimately the choice has to be ours not someone else's.

Equally we should not be embarrassed by the diversity of distros that
are GNU/Linux.

Tom.