Re: [LUG] signs

Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 16:55:44 +0000
> Simon Robert wrote:
>
>> this is the problem. even the poster will be confusing. a use linux
>> poster pretty much amounts to a "Use a PC" poster, because one someone
>> asks "OK I'll try linux" you'll have to go off on a "do you want to
>> use Redhat, Kubuntu, Mint, Ubuntu, Slackware" converstion by which
>> time your questioner will have given up and gone home.
>>
>> OK. Ubuntu is not the only distro, but it is easy to use, easy to
>> install and easy to demo. If you manage to get someone to use it that
>> is the time to explain there are other distros. That is the time to
>> get into the ideological angels dancing on home made CDs.
>
> Or... and this is just a suggestion here...
>
> USER: Yeah, I'll give Linux a try.
> LUG Member: Ok, since this is your first Linux adventure, I'd recommend
>             Ubuntu.  There are others around, and you're welcome to
>             give them a go, but for now I'd recommend Ubuntu to start
>             with.
> USER: OK, cool.
>
>> Keep it simple! Here is an easy to use, install OS that will do
>> everything you need and it is free! Questions about why is it free and
>> so on will follow. Once people are using linux they may, or may not
>> (my mother and next door neighbour (happy users of ubuntu and kubuntu
>> respectively) show a marked reluctance to hear me explain about other
>> distros they might like - "no Simon, what you installed works great is
>> there any pressing reason why I need to switch again?". Once they have
>> software installed that does all the stuff they need they're not even
>> interested in looking at alternative apps (unlike you and me whole
>> download anything to take a look at it).
>>
>> For most people OS's and apps are as enthralling as makes of
>> dishwashers. This is what needs to be remembered when trying to "flog"
>> linux. "Here is a cheaper slicker free dishwasher" - great! "I can
>> offer you a choice of 15 free dishwashers, some have copyright
>> components, some don't". "Some of them will be trickier to use than
>> your current one, but you'll catch on fast..." - don't think so.
>>
>> Simon
>
> I agree.  No need to overwhelm the user in the initial stages, but
> equally this is not an Ubuntu User Group, so giving people 1 option is
> not really acceptable.  *Recommending* a specific option and hinting at
> the fact that there are others could well work though.
>
> Grant.

I agree, I like ubuntu, but before that I used debian, before that I
used suse, redhat and slackware.  I tried caldera it failed to let me
log in :(

I think what ever distro we put people on we need to make sure that the
new user has a text file with

Distro name and version
kernel version
versions of various libraries
perhaps list of hardware

that we as a lug member can compile for them

or I am sure its possible to get all this info from a shell script (any
ideas) which can be run, and it dumps said info in to a file.

that way if they ever need help they can copy / paste the info from that
file in to an e-mail or something,  so the person helping can have an
idea of where to start.

it also helps you as you can keep a record on who has what installed, so
if you get called to help they haev a kind of personal file with the
info in.

We need to help new users to help us to help them.

A lot of people using windows will say they are using windows,  hardly
helpful when that is usually XP , vista or Windows 7.

Paul