Re: [LUG] signs

Paul Sutton wrote:
I agree, I like ubuntu, but before that I used debian, before that I
used suse, redhat and slackware.
Me too, I ran SuSE for a little while, I also had SuSE 6.2 (box set with proper manuals) and RedHat 5.2, and I also dabbled with RedHat 7, 8 and 9, oh and Debian on my server. My first distro was Slackware.
I tried caldera it failed to let me
log in :(
Did you buy a Linux license?
I think what ever distro we put people on we need to make sure that the
new user has a text file with

Distro name and version
kernel version
versions of various libraries
perhaps list of hardware

I don't see why, I mean these things will be updated by system updates anyway so no doubt after a week or two the text file would be out of date.
or I am sure its possible to get all this info from a shell script (any
ideas) which can be run, and it dumps said info in to a file.

Well there is lsb_release -a

rob@aspire:~$ lsb_release  -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Release:    9.10
Codename:    karmic

that way if they ever need help they can copy / paste the info from that
file in to an e-mail or something,  so the person helping can have an
idea of where to start.

I'd say giving them the name and version of the distro would be more help such as...

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) i386 Desktop, Fedora 12 (Contantine) AMD64, Debian 5.0 (Lenny) Alpha etc...

it also helps you as you can keep a record on who has what installed, so
if you get called to help they haev a kind of personal file with the
info in.
dpkg --get-selections

Again things can change, I never really make a note of individual packages I install, especially if they have a whole load of dependencies.
We need to help new users to help us to help them.
Um... that doesn't make any sense to me. Do you mean help uses help themselves?
A lot of people using windows will say they are using windows,  hardly
helpful when that is usually XP , vista or Windows 7.
To be honest, a lot of stuff works across the board on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. It's only certain things which may not work. I've found more of an issue when running 32-Bit Windows stuff on Windows XP/Vista/7 x64 (64-Bit).

Rob