Re: [LUG] signs

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:22:14 +0000
Paul Sutton wrote:

> Rhia Knowles wrote:
> >>From Freedom comes Elegance (linux Mint)
> >
> > I've always liked that one.
> >
> > Or there's one a friend has as an email sig:
> >
> > Windows: Where do you want to go today?
> > MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?
> > Linux: Are you coming or what?
> > (from Linux Journal)
> >

> ok if we are going to demo / advocate different distros, we need users
> of those distros to be willing to attend the meeting and perhaps bring
> with them copies of cd's to give away

I see where you're going with this, but it's not necessarily true.
Windows' "Control Panel" has changed a fair bit over the years and yet
for the most part if you can "use" one, you can use any of them without
having a representative user from that particular version explaining
how to use it.

I don't think we necessarily need to have indivudual Mint, Xubuntu,
Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, CentOS, RHEL, Mandriva, Novell/SuSE,
OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, etc, representatives.  For the most part (these
days, anyway) the majority of Linuxes that people tend to gravitate
towards are either RPM (RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Mandriva, *SuSE,
PCLinuxOS, etc) or DEB (Debian, *buntu, Mint, etc) based.  Apart from a
few individual tweaks, the systems are very close to eachother anyway.

I would say it is more important to have a general ethos of encouraging
people to find the correct information rather than merely present them
with a long list of "if you're running X, do Y, if you're running P, do
Q, etc).

When I say "encourage people to find the correct information", I mean
answering their question with another question, but explaining why
you're asking and why/how their answers will be helpful.  Certainly it
is my experience that people are more receptive to, and empowered by a
given solution if they have "ownership" of it (my god, I'm actually
talking like an Educationalist!  HELP ME!).  Encourage people to ask
questions, don't answer them with RTFM style reposts, and nurture a
spirit of discovery.

Grant.