Re: [LUG] signs

Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 18:45:03 +0000
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> I agree, I like ubuntu, but before that I used debian, before that I
>> used suse, redhat and slackware.  I tried caldera it failed to let me
>> log in :(
>
> Hehe... I installed the newest SuSE Enterprise in a virtual machine
> t'other day.  I set all the authentication options (at install-time) to
> point to the College's Novell OES box(es).  After installation it
> wouldn't let me log in, even with the local root password I setup.
>
> D'oh.
>
> Now completely pointless as I have figured out how to mount the various
> Netware shares on my laptop.  It was an interesting journey.
>
>> I think what ever distro we put people on we need to make sure that
>> the new user has a text file with
>>
>> Distro name and version
>> kernel version
>> versions of various libraries
>> perhaps list of hardware
>>
>> that we as a lug member can compile for them
>>
>> or I am sure its possible to get all this info from a shell script
>> (any ideas) which can be run, and it dumps said info in to a file.
>
> I'm liking this idea... now all we need is a new thread discussing
> which language the script should be written in. :D
>
> (My vote: BASH or Python)

Well we know bash is going to be on every system, do we expect a new
user to install python ?

it may only be apt-get install python, lets keep this simple.

>> that way if they ever need help they can copy / paste the info from
>> that file in to an e-mail or something,  so the person helping can
>> have an idea of where to start.
>>
>> it also helps you as you can keep a record on who has what installed,
>> so if you get called to help they haev a kind of personal file with
>> the info in.
>>
>> We need to help new users to help us to help them.
>
> We also need to help new users to help themselves.
>
>> A lot of people using windows will say they are using windows,  hardly
>> helpful when that is usually XP , vista or Windows 7.
>
> To be fair, it isn't as much of a difference as it used to be.  9x vs
> NT-based was a much more interesting comparison - 2000, XP, Vista & 7
> are all *very* similar under the hood.  But your point is perfectly
> valid - sooooo many people don't know squat about what's in front of
> them.  Ahh, if only the "European Computer Driving License" was just
> that... something that gave people the understanding and experience they
> need to actually use a computer.  Alas.
>
> Grant.

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details