Re: [LUG] signs

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:42:28 +0000
Paul Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> I know we have a dcglug banner but it looks like enigma signs in
> Yalberton currently have a special offer on Â15 per meter signs
>
> http://www.enigmasigns.biz/
>
> just wondered if its worth us clubbing together to raise Â15 + for a
> ubuntu sign
>
> or perhaps have Ubuntu Hour here to day or similar
>
> So if / when we do have events relating to ubuntu we can put this up.
>
> Paul

I'm not sure I'd agree with an Ubuntu banner - I don't like the idea of
promoting one specific distro over another.  Well, not like that
anyway.  I'm quite happy to recommend Ubuntu as a good distro to start
with, and maybe stick with if it suits them, but don't forget that this
is a Linux User Group, not an Ubuntu User Group.  (Incidentally, I'm an
Ubuntu user (as well as Debian & WebOS, and previously pretty much any
distro I could get my hands on), so it's not an elitist thing on my
part).

A simple Tux banner with a good, catchy "slogan" (for want of a better
expression... my mind is all a fuzz at the moment... bloody
rhinovirus!) would be far more appropriate.

Grant.