Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 23:25:34 +0000
Rhia Knowles <rhiadratech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Why complicate matters more then necessary?
> >
> > ... which leads to the plethora of distributions because each user
> > needs something slightly different.
> >
> > One size most definitely does not fit all.
> >
> Isnt this contradictory to what you say below here?

No. Choice requires more than one option. One option is insufficient.
Each user needs something slightly different - that will inevitably
lead to a requirement for lots of options, lots of distributions and
lots of flavours of such distributions. Freedom requires choice, at
all levels, including first experience. Mint is not a universally good
choice as a "first exposure" distribution - there are no quick fixes
here, you'll get better results if you consider the needs of the person
BEFORE you choose which distribution to advise first. Some will
inevitably choose non-free, otherwise the selection of choices is
itself inadequate. Proprietary software does suit some users - it can
be the most suitable choice.

There are some (weird) people whose first choice would be Gentoo. To
such people, Mint would be too much like OSX/Windows. Know your
audience.

> > If someone complains about their chosen selection (including the
> > abdication of choice by ignorance) but then refuses to invest the
> > time in exploring alternatives and which could better suit their
> > needs, then that is their choice - they've chosen apathy. Leave
> > them to it - until they come asking questions.
> >

> I say I show newbies Mint. If it doesnt suit their needs, they will,
> as I did, very quickly find out about different desktop options, then
> distros.

Don't have one rule for everyone, don't follow the monopolist.

Get to know the person and their needs and take that into account when
considering the first recommendation.

> By this point they probably have gotten familiar enough
> (usually through LUGs and Forums) to know a livecd can be burnt then
> booted in their machine, letting them try out a different way, and go
> back to the other IF THEY DONT LIKE IT.
>
> Getting people on Linux is the first step. Guiding them is second.
> Letting them strap on their feathers and wax and leaping into the
> sun, if they choose, is the third.

Letting people know about free software is the first step but some will
abandon the whole thing at that point and there is no benefit in
pushing such people to use GNU/Linux early.

Don't put people off by giving the impression that they have to get
Linux as their first step. There are stages before that decision.

--

Neil Williams