Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

On Sun, 2010-01-24 at 15:04 +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Simon Robert wrote:
> > I'm not sure that converting people to linux is that difficult if a.
> > they have a reason to change and b. one is prepared to convert them to
> > one of the "simple" to use distros.
> >
> > If the convertee watches movies etc.. then provide them with a distro
> > which has, or will install, all needed codecs. Provide a distro which
> > always automatically downloads all needed dependencies and removes
> > previous versions of whatever app it happens to be. Make sure it has
> > wide wifi support installed when the distro is installed, likewise
> > support for media cards, dongles etc. And likewise propitiatory graphics
> > drivers.
> >
> > I reckon this gives you a choice of 3 or 4 distros.
> >
> Right, so which three/four would that be then?
>
> Neil Winchurst

I don't think we need to go there, but (and no flame war is intended)
k/ubuntu, mint and maybe opensuse are distros I know about. PClinuxOS
was great, but I think has fallen a bit behind. Maybe, though I don't
know, fedora, and though I like mandriva I think it's software
installation might not be what a "convertee" needs although the rest of
its management tools are great. It doesn't always pick up dependencies
when one trys to install software. Also mephis.

It doesn't really matter as long as the converter is willing to install
all the needed codecs, plugins, clones (aMSN comes to mind) and linux
versions of cross platform stuff (skype for example).

Most people have zero interest in software, o/s's and the way apps are
licensed. They also have no interest in file system structures, user
permissions and the command line.

I know and understand all these things. But it doesn't mean I want to
have to make active use of them. If a distro doesn't come with the means
of watching a region 1 encrypted DVD installed, or a divx file I know
what to install (as long as these things are in a repository either
installed or installable).

If these things are not in a repository and/or the distro has not picked
up my DVB-S card etc I'll dump it for one that does have them. Life is
too short to be recompiling kernels so a satellite card is detected or
doing a manual scan for a channel list if these things are available
else where.

Linux is great. I'll convert anyone convertible to it. But as for
spreading the gospel (a nasty metaphor for those as atheistic as
myself), well you should probably use holy books the convertee can read
without spending years in a seminary.