Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

2010/1/24 Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:53:27 +0000
Rhia Knowles <rhiadratech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeah mint is the one I will be showing newbies. Since it installs all
> the codecs as standard, can run most wifi dongles automatically, and
> is set up exactly like windows with only one panel and a menu button
> where a windows user expects it, its about the easiest going.
>
> Just explain about synaptic being a database of programs that are
> guaranteed to work, and that it installs em automatically, and its a
> go.
>
> Why complicate matters more then necessary?

... which leads to the plethora of distributions because each user
needs something slightly different.

One size most definitely does not fit all.
Isnt this contradictory to what you say below here?

If someone complains about their chosen selection (including the
abdication of choice by ignorance) but then refuses to invest the time
in exploring alternatives and which could better suit their needs, then
that is their choice - they've chosen apathy. Leave them to it - until
they come asking questions.

I say I show newbies Mint. If it doesnt suit their needs, they will, as I did, very quickly find out about different desktop options, then distros. By this point they probably have gotten familiar enough (usually through LUGs and Forums) to know a livecd can be burnt then booted in their machine, letting them try out a different way, and go back to the other IF THEY DONT LIKE IT.

Getting people on Linux is the first step. Guiding them is second. Letting them strap on their feathers and wax and leaping into the sun, if they choose, is the third.