Re: [LUG] Spreading the Linux gospel

Rob Beard wrote:
tom wrote:
Rhia Knowles wrote:
I know what you mean. I'm making tentative steps with a friend from college, who, being a bit of an aging hippy, is into open source and free software, which i think makes it easier a little. After yet another virus trashed his laptop's Vista, i brought in a linux (Mint, as it happened) liveCd, saved his docs to an external HDD, scanned them with Clamtk, and then did the wipe and restore from system partition process.

Having seen how easy Linux was to use, he asked if it was possible to have both on his laptop, so he could try it out. Especially as i'd told him the reason for using Linux was its immune to windows viruses.

I think that is part of it. I showed him Synpatic and left it at that. 'This is basically a database of all available software. You look for what you want with the search here, tick it, then hit apply and it downloads it and installs it for you. Much easier then windows, and all free.'

He;s still mostly in windows, basically because with college he needs it for Dreamweaver and Access 2007, but he is experimenting slowly, and he has my number in case of problems. He couldnt beleive how easy it was to instal either.
Aaaagh! - the two most pathetic programs to teach people!
Tom te tom te tom
It is a college course, I mean they were supposed to teach me GWBasic at college, turns out they changed the course at the last minute and took out any programming, until I complained then one of the teachers decided to teach QBasic. I ended up teaching the bloody class!

Rob

It makes me mad when they teach people 'lock you into sme forever' programs.
Just doing MS work for them....
Tom te tom te tom