Re: [LUG] OT - SIP providers?

Skype for symbian is not that great as when you are not using the app for calling it still sends packet data and costs you money - you should use iskoot http://iskoot.com/ as it facilitates more applications icluding msn, facebook, yahoo, googletalk and others and most importantly skype. It functions the identicle way to skype for mobile, dialing a national number and connecting you to your skype call from that point and using packet data to retrieve contacts and talk to the skype service saying what you want to do. but crucially iskoot turns of packet data when it doesnt need it i.e. when your making a call and only sends a burst packet every few minutes.

Be warned there are cost traps in this system, one is as i have said data packets. If you use it a lot and you dont have something set up for the month it could cost quite a bit and two is receiving calls, if someone calls you while you are on skype on your mobile you pay to receive it and are at the mercy of what ever your provider charges. Rather set iskoot to "dont recieve calls" in settings and get people to chat to you if they want to talk and phone them back.

I lived in the UK for a couple of years and had a contract with O2 which gave me unlimited calls on sat-mon and a small amount of data allowance every month. I would then use my mobile to call my parents in New Zealand and other family in sweden and south africa and it wouldnt cost me a penny if they were on there computers using skype and otherwise skype would charge me 1.3 p per min to call a land line. A very bizzar feeling to be on your cell and be able to call without thinking of the bill :)

Oh and i would leave iskoot on all the time and anytime my mum or partner wanted to talk and i was out they would simply chat me and i would call back.

Symbian phones ROCK!!! saved me a fortune. worth every penny and i cant wait to get a n97