Re: [LUG] OT - SIP providers?

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, tom wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Indeed - you don't need a PBX to call grandma, but you do need something to translate an easy to use number or name into an IP address or other endpoint. We call these things telephone exchanges. BT has many and I have a few :)

In the internet its called DNS - just ignore phone numbers: they're for dinosaurs!

Actually... If you realy want to go down this route Tom, look up enum. However that still uses phone numbers. (and DNS)

But as I said elsehwere, it's not going to work - for now - due to the issues of unauthenticated connections and the possibility of spam. ie. if you try to place a SIP call to my PBX (or phone!) without first registering to a PBX that I control, it will be rejected.

Gordon