Re: [LUG] OT - SIP providers?

tom wrote:
Skype is not SIP - its a proprietary set-up and will effectively lock you in(suits will not be capable of using two different phone programs). An you cant call SIP from it - or couldnt last time I looked.

And remember you don't need to but a VOIP phone - a cheap (MP3) headset will do and work out a lot cheaper and wont take up new cables/airwaves/deskspace. Its often useful to know who you are calling - if you need to call the same people all the time then it may be useful to find out what they have. Ekiga comes with ubuntu and you can register with them but you dont need to to - you can just use the software. remember its Voice Over IP - you've paid for the IP and the VO bit doesnt have to cost.
Tom te tom te tom

I was reading up on a Blog post a few days ago about an addon for Asterisk which will connect to Skype although it wasn't free (I gather it's not open source either). Not sure how good it is though as my knowledge of Asterisk is well.... pretty low.

If it was me I'd go the Asterisk route, at least that way it's kind of future proofed compared to Skype (considering the fact that when eBay bought Skype they didn't buy the underlining technology behind it!).

Rob