Re: [LUG] OT - SIP providers?

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:58:28 +0100
tom wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been asked by the-people-who-wear-ties to look into out phone
> > costs, specifically to compare costs of international calling with
> > our current provider (UKTelCo) with Skype.  I'm broadening my
> > defined scope of comparison and would like to look into other forms
> > of VoIP as well.
> >
> > It would seem that Asterisk et al are the way to go.  And that's
> > where my knowledge of VoIP seems to stop.
> >
> > We have 2xADSL lines, neither are being fully utilised, so we could
> > have our VoIP going through one of those.  Do we need to sign up
> > with a SIP provider or can we be one ourselves?  If the former, any
> > recommendations?  If the latter, how to do it?  Etc, etc.
> >
> > Any "idiots guides" to VoIP/SIP?  The vast majority of things I've
> > come across seem to jump straight in with an assumption that you
> > already know how VoIP/SIP systems work... I don't.
> >
> > Cheers.
> > Grant. :)
> >

> Skype is not SIP - its a proprietary set-up and will effectively lock
> you in(suits will not be capable of using two different phone
> programs). An you cant call SIP from it - or couldnt last time I
> looked.

I don't recall actually saying Skype was SIP or even saying that Skype
could interact with SIP.  I said that I had been asked to compare our
existing telephony provider with Skype.

> And remember you don't need to but a VOIP phone - a cheap (MP3)
> headset will do and work out a lot cheaper and wont take up new
> cables/airwaves/deskspace.

I'm quite happy with giving them all software-phones.  Many people are
already using Skype for Skype-Skype communications, so the concept of
talking to someone through the computer isn't an alien one.

Grant.