[LUG] OT - SIP providers?

Hi all,

I've been asked by the-people-who-wear-ties to look into out phone
costs, specifically to compare costs of international calling with our
current provider (UKTelCo) with Skype.  I'm broadening my defined scope
of comparison and would like to look into other forms of VoIP as well.

It would seem that Asterisk et al are the way to go.  And that's where
my knowledge of VoIP seems to stop.

We have 2xADSL lines, neither are being fully utilised, so we could
have our VoIP going through one of those.  Do we need to sign up with a
SIP provider or can we be one ourselves?  If the former, any
recommendations?  If the latter, how to do it?  Etc, etc.

Any "idiots guides" to VoIP/SIP?  The vast majority of things I've come
across seem to jump straight in with an assumption that you already
know how VoIP/SIP systems work... I don't.

Cheers.
Grant. :)