Re: [LUG] Upgrade from to Ubuntu 9.04

james kilty wrote:
On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 17:58 +0100, Michael Mortimore wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:25:07 +0100, james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I want to try some of the newer distros on the Linux Format disc plus
Mint soon and will need to set up users called jamesmint etc on my home
partition. Please could I be reminded where the instructions are?
Any reason you don't want to use the same user for all distros?
I thought the hidden files for the different programmes might have
different values in each distro for whatever is stored there so it is
best practice.
Yeah, you have a point there, who knows what slight differences there may be.
there's the useradd command (man useradd) to do it on the command line, or kde has kuser as a graphical tool for that sort of stuff. Not sure what the gnome equivalent is called but I think there's a good chance of one existing.
I was wondering if there was anything I should be careful about in the
setting up process - format new partition, use old swap space,
presumably I can just add the new user without it formatting the
existing /home.

James
You should be able to. When it comes to partitioning, you can select your existing partition for /home, just make sure you untick the format option (or if you're really paranoid, don't touch it and then manually alter the /etc/fstab file afterwards and move everything from your new temporary /home to your existing /home, which is a bit more long winded but less likely to go wrong). If in doubt do a backup of your home directory first.

Rob