Re: [LUG] Upgrade from to Ubuntu 9.04

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 17:58 +0100, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:25:07 +0100, james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I want to try some of the newer distros on the Linux Format disc plus
> > Mint soon and will need to set up users called jamesmint etc on my home
> > partition. Please could I be reminded where the instructions are?
>
> Any reason you don't want to use the same user for all distros?
I thought the hidden files for the different programmes might have
different values in each distro for whatever is stored there so it is
best practice.

> there's the useradd command (man useradd) to do it  on the command line,
> or kde has kuser as a graphical tool for that sort of stuff. Not sure what
> the gnome equivalent is called but I think there's a good chance of one
> existing.
I was wondering if there was anything I should be careful about in the
setting up process - format new partition, use old swap space,
presumably I can just add the new user without it formatting the
existing /home.

James

--
james kilty