Re: [LUG] Upgrade from to Ubuntu 9.04

Grant Sewell wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:47:21 +0100
Martin Gautier wrote:

Grant Sewell wrote:
Hi all,

I was brave.  Yesterday I figured I'd upgrade my Ubuntu 8.04.2
laptop to 9.04.  To do this the Ubuntu way, however, I had to first
upgrade to 8.10.  I have to say that with only 1 hiccup it seems to
have gone fairly smoothly!

On the upgrade from 8.04.2 to 8.10, the newest 8.10-supported
kernel was installed, and this caused problems.  However, the
previous 8.10-supported kernel was also installed, and booting to
this seemed to be fine.

Upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04 was a breeze and happened without any
hiccups.

I'm still thinking that I'll re-Debianise it soon, but I was
impressed with the upgrade process.

Grant.
Nice to hear Grant, thanks. I have a 8.10 server which I've held off upgrading as it's too critical to have to troubleshoot any problems (don't fix what isn't broken). I have a 9.04 install in the wild
based on exactly the same kit.

Perhaps I should be a little braver and just bite the bullet.

Martin

Maybe wait for 9.10 (the next "Long Term Support" version) to settle
down and move to that?  As you said, if it ain't broke...

Grant.

Maybe. Not sure if I'd need to go to 9.04 before 9.10 first though... I'll have to look into it...