Re: [LUG] Upgrading from previous versions of Ubuntu

2009/9/16 Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Doing a bit more searching (with regards to the thread about upgrading to
> Ubuntu 9.04), I found this which may be of use:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes
>
> From 5.10 (Breezy Badger):

You missed Warty. :)

Basically in summary it's recommended you go from any release to the
next (non LTS) release.
In addition you can also go from LTS to LTS, and you can of course go
from LTS to non-LTS release. WIth the only LTS releases so far being
6.06 and 8.04.

So that means you can do this:-

4.10 -> 5.04 -> 5.10 -> 6.06 -> 6.10 -> 7.04 -> 7.10 -> 8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04

and

6.06 -> 8.04

That said you _can_ skip releases although it's not recommended, and
not a tested scenario.

> What it doesn't list is Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn), I'm not sure if it is
> possible to upgrade to 7.10 and then from 7.10 to 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 etc.  I
> might give it a try one evening and see what happens.  Looks like anything
> before 5.10 isn't supported either.

Indeed, it doesn't explicitly list any unsupported release. Indeed
unsupported releases are moved off of the main archive (e.g.
gb.archive.ubuntu.com) onto old-releases.ubuntu.com. So if you're
running (for example) 7.04 which is now out of support, you would need
to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the "old-releases" host
instead.

> Still looks like if you stick with LTS releases or a fairly recent version
> (say nothing older than about 12 to 18 months) then you'd probably be able
> to do an upgrade rather thann backing up and reinstalling.

Note that with recent releases you can install over the top to
upgrade. This will leave the /home directory (not specifically a
partition, even if it's just a directory) intact and wipe out /bin
/usr /var etc then reinstall over the top. It's a very quick way to
"upgrade".

Note: Any config in /etc, and any data in /var (like websites or mysql
databases) will be wiped using that method. So I usually move/copy
stuff to /home, then do the reinstall over the top then move stuff
back. Much quicker than upgrading, although you do then have to
reinstall packages on top of that base install.

Cheers,
Al.