Re: [LUG] OT: Hacker Groups

Terry Hill wrote:

    I've read a couple of articles on the Arduino, I can't fathom
    though if it needs to be permanently connected to a PC or if it
    can be programmed and used as a standalone device?

    Rob

It can stay connected or run standalone. There's a jumper beside the usb socket that allows an external power source to be connected, instead of drawing power from the usb. You can still connect and use the usb. You program the thing from a pc, which compiles and uploads the code. If you want, you can use serial comms with the device, getting input from anything you like including a mouse. You can build peripherals with it, add sensors to your pc, whatever you like from what I've seen so far. The serial device is two way of course so you can send Serial.print commands to send text back to the pc to get debugging/feedback info. I bought a "freeduino" from a supplier in the uk for £12.99 iirc. Freeduino's are 100% compatible with the more expesive "official" arduino deinualove. I'm sorely tempted to buy one of the mega devices next, but I've not needed anything extra on what I've already got.

Interesting. So considering they're cheap, I could program a couple of devices to work in standalone projects?

Where exactly did you get the kit from?

£12.99 seems cheap enough to get one as an impulse buy.
Still sorting out a mailing list. I assume a mailing list is preferred over forums everyone?
I think generally the folks on here prefer a mailing list, I'm not too fussed either way.

Rob