Re: [LUG] OT: Hacker Groups

Terry Hill wrote:

    Give me an airfix of a spitfire and it comes out as a submarine...

Thats quite a skill there you know ;)

This thread is starting to veer off course, forgive the pun. I'm not looking to solve the world's energy crisis or get into some large and dangerous kilovolt-rated certificated nightmare of funding and hard slog - I'm more interested in making old speak-n-spell toys sound funny if you catch my drift. I'd love to play with robotics, sensors, things that go bleep, ping and/or flash lots of led's on and off in twinkly patterns. Fun, small scale, for the hell of it electronics. Take a look at hackaday.com <http://hackaday.com> for inspiration.

Best pre-warn you, machines that go Ping are quite expensive.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCITMfxvEc
Having said all that, if we did get a small group together for the above, as a group project inverters, charge controllers, wind generation could all be on the menu if the group felt like getting into it.

It's been years since I did electronics and I'm not very good at soldering and have limited space (and limited funds) but I'd be interested too. I've been looking at some of the projects that involve FPGAs which I'm intrigued by although with so many kits out there I wouldn't know where to start.

I'd also like to learn assembler (Z80, 6502 or 68000) just for the hell of it although I'm wondering the best way of going about this. Not sure if I should use an emulator or dig out the VIC20 or Acorn Electron (I haven't got a PSU for the Spectrum +) in the loft and annoy the wife while I beaver away at writing some code.

Rob