Re: [LUG] OT Digital TV

On Fri, 08 May 2009 23:03:19 +0100
Julian Hall wrote:

> Except that no terrestrial TV is by subscription... at least I can't
> think of any.  With digital I would think the service provider has to
> keep checking that everyone watching the programme is a valid
> subscriber, or not?  Except channels that are Freeview of course, and
> there I agree with your points :)  I'd forgotten Freeview.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

I'm not going to say "Top-Up TV & Setantatanatna sports" - I think
we've already covered them.  There are some "by-subscription,
over-the-air" channels that actually don't use any form of card... or
encryption!  Essentially, the channel you *think* they're on is a fake
channel with white-noise in the background and a message on-screen
giving you a number to call.  It also seems to run a small app (not
sure of the details).  When you call the number and give them your
credit card details, they give you an "access code" to type in on your
STB's remote control... which tells the app running on that channel to
switch to (essentially) another channel where the channel is broadcast
without any form of encryption.  However, this un-encrypted channel is
not included in any of the EPGs or STB-Channel-Listings.  You can,
however, pick them up by using a DVB-T card in your computer and doing
a manual scan.

Grant.