Re: [LUG] OT Digital TV

Julian Hall wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
>> Yes when I said minor glitch I meant Pixelate (I just couldn't think of the
>> word!!) as well - Haven't had complete loss as yet.
>>
>> As you say hopefully once the dust settles (although I thought it had for
>> us) things might be better.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave.
>>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Not wishing to put a dampener on things but I've had digital (cable via
> ntl/virginmedia) for just under ten years and it pixellates even now
> occasionally.  I think there are three  main causes;

Can't say I've had any problems with Virgin Media TV (/me runs and
touches lots of wood).  The phone line on the other hand is a different
story!
> a) signal strength - through air digital may be more prone than cable

Well it is prone to interference and the signal getting blocked by maybe
buildings, hills etc.
> b) atmospherics - see above

I used to find this would happen on analogue were we'd get interference
from French TV transmitters.  Yet to see if it happens with digital.
> c) bandwidth - not sure which is better on this one, but logically 60
> million people pulling the same programme at once would pull more than 2
> million, and the signal would get a bit choppy I would suspect due to
> data loss.  Not sure what bandwidth (data capacity) is available in 'to
> air' TV?

Nah I don't think this would affect it.  I mean terrestrial TV is one
way, it's sent out and the aerials lock on to the signal and decode it.
It's not as if there are 60 million connections to a server (or
servers).  I'd say it's the same for satellite too, the signal is sent
out and the boxes pickup the signal.

Where cable is concerned I would assume they would use some sort of
multicasting technology to distribute the signal, that is if it doesn't
already work in a similar way to digital terestrial or satellite TV.

Rob