Re: [LUG] CnM MiniBook experience ?

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:15:25 +0000
Alan Pope wrote:

> 2009/1/25 tom <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Although I'm not here to promote CnM, I think what I am trying to
> > say is that the CnM minibook IS a step away from the x86
> > monoculture and have taken on board the spirit as well as the
> > letter of GPL.
> >

> That's not what I'd heard from people who worked with them. As I
> understood it CnM were not very forthcoming with the build environment
> to make is possible for others to reflash the device. This may of
> course have changed since the last time I spoke to them (October).
>
> For endusers there will be two (admittedly proprietary) issues with
> this device. The fact that it doesn't run Flash or Skype. Whilst I
> appreciate that freedom lovers will not be bothered by this, the fact
> is that your average joe in the street _does_ feel the need to use
> this stuff. If it's not available they'll take it back and possibly
> even blame Linux for having "no flash or skype" support, when in fact
> it does.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Cheers Al, that's *exactly* what I was trying to say. :)

I understand that it's not fault of CnM that there isn't a MIPS version
of Flash or Skype, but the *average person* will not necessarily be
aware of this and place blame appropriately at Adobe/Skype.  And yes, I
am aware of there being a Gnash (or whatever it's called) and that
there are a myriad of other IM tools and VOIP clients, but Skype is a
well known brand that *average people* may already know.

Grant.