Re: [LUG] CnM MiniBook experience ?

Grant Sewell wrote:
>> I had a play with this in maplins Plymouth store. Not very impressed
>> unless you just want the basics with no option to tweak or customise.
>>
>> Thats why I'm ordering the aspire one in a couple of days. PC
>> sold,yay..
>>
>> Ray
>
> I find it such a shame that these devices actively publish the fact
> they run Linux.  I mean, let's me honest here - the majority of people
> don't really know what Linux is (let alone GNU) and may well regard all
> of Linux with what they find on these CnM MiniBooks, thus essentially
> tarring Linux with the CnM MiniBook brush.
>
> Grant.

Conversely the public buy a lot of devices that have GNU/Linux embedded
in them and are quite happy with them (sadly not knowing the significance).

I think what you have to bear in mind is that CnM are not selling this
as a high end UMPC yet alone a high end Laptop. The maplins site is VERY
clear on this.

The significant factors (for me) are the lower power consumption and the
possibility of attaching mobile wireless broadband, and possibly finding
a solution that could be paired with a Solar Panel power solution that
wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

- From what I have seen on the CnM site it IS possible to re-flash the OS
albeit that its MIPS based so you need to do extra work if you want to
do your own mods. However people (including CnM)  have already done this
work, which is a testament to the nature of GNU/Linux development, AND
CnM are offering their own web space to host and sponsor some of these
enhancements.

Although I'm not here to promote CnM, I think what I am trying to say is
that the CnM minibook IS a step away from the x86 monoculture and have
taken on board the spirit as well as the letter of GPL.

I think this machine is a viable option for somewhere where (like
finding your next meal) electricity is expensive and short supply. Sadly
they do not currently offer an alternative power source, but that may
come soon.

Yes by all accounts the CnM minibook IS a compromise, but it maybe an
interesting development as energy supplies dwindle and prices rise.

Tom.