Re: [LUG] Firefox add-on IE Tab

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:52:56 +0000
james kilty wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 00:19 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> > That's because of Microsoft's shoddy coding practices.  They use an
> > ActiveX control on the IE enabled version of Outlook Web Access and
> > where as when you login with another browser it uses the more basic
> > interface.
> I hate this ActiveX - her IT people just connected to her using
> ActiveX
> - it makes me wonder how many outsiders can get into a machine using
> it.
> >   I'd be weary about using IE Tab though as you're using the
> > Internet Explorer engine (and all the security risks that go with
> > it).
> Thanks. That's what I need to know. She might just as well use IE.
> I'll try to persuade her to open each email and use the whole screen
> to increase security a bit. I am wary and also weary of the whole
> business of sorting things out as everything seems so slow.
>
> I see her wait for her computer while my work is lightning fast by her
> standards and so transparent - and we cannot access some files to
> delete them, like cookies and zipped FWB files which Explorer won't
> show, even though I know where they are as searches find them. At
> least she sees how much easier Linux is and daughter is quite
> comfortable using kubuntu for all sorts of things. I haven't shown
> her the radio stations I listen to with Amarok - but I should be able
> to teach her to edit her own music excerpts for her gcse dance as I
> did with audacity. I am quite looking forward to that.
> James

As the administrative user you have access to *all* files on an NTFS
filesystem. You can actually remove the Administrator (and
Administrators group, and any other user with administrative rights)
from the list of people who can access the file/folder... but being an
administrative user means you can always give yourself permission again.

If, as the administrative user, you cannot access the file/folder you
are looking for, but you know exactly where it is, then look at the
"security" tab on the file/folder properties and add yourself back in
with "full control".  You may have to go back a few folder levels (such
as "c:\program files\blah" instead of "c:\program
files\blah\blah\blah") to make this work smoothly.

Grant.