Re: [LUG] get_iplayer

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:50:24 +0000
Tom Potts wrote:

> I'm having problems with get_iplayer - it may be due to DRM but I
> dont know. If I
>  get_iplayer --get "its not easy being green"
> I get the latest episode downloaded in one go and it plays quite
> happily in most players
> If I
>  get_iplayer --get "history of scotland"
> there is a small 2M download followed by restart and a ~260M
> download. The downloads are unplayable.
> Any ideas as to the problem and is there a workaround?
> Tom te tom te tom

As far as I'm aware, the way get_iplayer.pl works is that it pretends
to be the iPhone (so there *is* a use for them!) and downloads a
"chunks" file - a file that describes the size of each chunk of video
that would need to be downloaded, and the order in which to download
them.  It then downloads the actual video (again, pretending to be an
iPhone) one chunk at a time, and then re-assembles them once it's all
downloaded.

So, the 2MB file is most likely the chunks file and the ~260MB is the
video itself.

I wouldn't have thought there would be DRM issues as I'm pretty sure
the reason this works is because the iPhone isn't sufficiently powerful
to use the DRM that the BBC opted for.

Grant.