Re: [LUG] Firefox add-on IE Tab

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 01:22 +0000, Julian Hall wrote:

> Try booting her laptop with a Live distro and after mounting the HD
> delete the files by hand?
Yes - I did offer to do that. I did it with the last lot on her desktop,
but there were registry entries to run various things including
accessing web sites - there was even something trying to delete Firefox
- via command.com. It all got complicated as Windows Defender wanted to
get involved and its messages were ambiguous to me. I can have a look
see what is left if anything, without attempting anything with the
registry. I'd have to have a list of the previous trojans and a list of
the relevant registry entries to deal with. As it seems fine for the
moment, I will leave well alone. It hurts my brain taking that on.
>  Be warned though that if there is anything
> hidden in the Registry that references those files you *could*
> theoretically render the machine unbootable.
That did not happen the last time.
>   That shouldn't be the case
> if FWB has been disabled properly, but not being an expert in viruses I
> wouldn't like to guarantee it.
It has now gone thanks to Ad-Aware. Spy-Bot could only quarantine it -
presumably that was what created zipped files.

James

--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk