[LUG] OT: driving stats [ Was Re: Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?]

Simon Waters wrote:
> Men start worse drivers  (when young) and get relatively better, women
> start better and get relatively worse with increasing age (I don't know
> if they corrected for living longer!). I wonder if that remains true if
> you exclude individuals with health problems!

Until comparatively recently if you were disabled the insurance
companies would sting you for it.  I have proof of this as on one
occasion the person I spoke to screwed up and told me their quote
included 'a £50 surcharge for the disability'.  This was going back some
years and needless to say if that had been said recently they'd have
been sued by now.  The picture is now much better although still not
perfect.  I had a quote online last year but very few of the websites
allow you to specify a) you're disabled and b) any modifications to the
car are for mobility *not* performance.  Several companies refuse to
quote if you say the car is modified.

One such company telephoned me the next day about the quote.  I pointed
out that their website had not allowed me to state I was disabled and
asked how that would affect my quote.  Maybe I am over-sensitive but the
fractional pause before she replied *I think* was while 'Disability
Discrimination Act' scrolled through her mind.  Then she replied 'No
affect at all'.

My main point though is that 20 years ago when I wanted to drive I had to:

a) attend a full day assessment centre to see if I was physically and
mentally safe to be allowed on the roads.  This included the American
eye test of visual acuity in both eyes, and peripheral vision.  The UK
test could be passed by someone blind in one eye with tunnel vision in
the other - hopefully this has radically altered since I passed!
b) only *then* apply for a provisional license.
c) have lessons from an instructor qualified to teach the disabled.

Given that someone able-bodied can pop in the Post Office, apply for a
license and get a parent to teach them, why should I having passed all
those official barriers then be deemed a higher risk than an able-bodied
driver?  It's not like I'm going to buy an old banger and/or pile it
high with performance kit.  Per capita/miles driven I'd bet disabled
drivers are no worse than anyone else.  I won't claim better, that would
be arrogant.

Kind regards,

Julian