Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - doesthis indicate there are few female Linux users ?

Clare Shepherd wrote:

> That may well be true, but your last sentence is absolutely correct.
> Isn't one of the factors the fact that women drive more defensively.

I'd hope no one takes statistics at face value, statistics rarely tell
you much of interest and when they do there is usually a story behind
it, and often not what you expect.

So yes overall women drive less, but have more accidents per mile. On
average women are less likely to drive with excessive speed, or to drive
excessively slowly, and much less likely to be involved in fatal
accidents (although that may also reflect the fact they do relatively
more urban driving and less highway driving).

But the figures are remarkably level in many reports. So much so that
for highway driving a couple ought to be switching who is at the wheel
every couple of hours (Women are safer at 11PM and 4AM, but less safe at
2AM).

Men start worse drivers  (when young) and get relatively better, women
start better and get relatively worse with increasing age (I don't know
if they corrected for living longer!). I wonder if that remains true if
you exclude individuals with health problems!

But whatever the gross statistics say, it is clear that individual
variation is far greater than the average statistical variation. Just
ask Neil ;)