Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - doesthis indicate there are few female Linux users ?

On 19 Jan 2008, at 00:22, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> That's fallacious I'm afraid. Lower insurance premiums show that women
> have fewer accidents not  that they're better drivers. For a variety
> of reasons women (on average) cover a lot lower mileage than men but
> per mile driven, men are much safer - if you accept the statistics at
> face value and don't get into an argument about fatality rates and
> what exactly defines good v bad driving and so on (and on - 'cos I've
> never met a woman who'd accept the statistics at face value).

That may well be true, but your last sentence is absolutely correct.
Isn't one of the factors the fact that women drive more defensively.
When I took a PVC licence in the 70s, to help fund my studies, I was
told to be more assertive. According to the teacher, it was both a
strength & weakness of us women. Too much and you're careless, too
little and you are a hesitant driver. Like all these things, I'm not
sure how much of our driving habits are down to gender. Wasn't there
some study that said men seem to be either very good or very bad
drivers, whilst women tend to be more in the middle of the spectrum.
Maybe my memory is playing me tricks?

Clare