Re: [LUG] OT: driving stats [ Was Re: Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?]

Julian Hall wrote:
> My main point though is that 20 years ago when I wanted to drive I had to:
>
> a) attend a full day assessment centre to see if I was physically and
> mentally safe to be allowed on the roads.  This included the American
> eye test of visual acuity in both eyes, and peripheral vision.  The UK
> test could be passed by someone blind in one eye with tunnel vision in
> the other - hopefully this has radically altered since I passed!

I guess they probably check medical records, but on test day the only
requirement is that you can read an number plate at whatever distance it is.

> c) have lessons from an instructor qualified to teach the disabled.

I have a friend with hearing problems- she had to have her test done by
a "qualified" instructor. She's taken the test twice now and failed both
times because this supposedly qualified person refused to speak up when
giving the directions!