Re: [LUG] Credit scoring (was Re: Identity theft (continuing topic))

On 28 Nov 2007, at 15:33, Andy Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 02:18:56PM +0000, Clare Shepherd wrote:
>> I suppose my beef is with the  fact that people's lives can be
>> affected by their credit rating, when  the rating is mistaken. I
>> live in a house where the previous occupant  skipped the country
>> owing the Inland Revenue, their employer, a bank,  and the DHSS. I
>> was hassled for months and even had phone abuse from  the previous
>> occupants creditors when I stated I didn't know where  they were.
>> Sorry if the touchiness on the subject led to a rant, as  you so
>> accurately said.
>
> Yes it can be a hassle, but I think it would be far worse if credit
> history did not exist as you would have no way to address these
> issues.  Everything that you've experienced would still be
> happening, but worse because there would be no central store of
> information so you'd have to correct it in multiple places (many of
> which you won't know about ahead of time).
>
> There are ways and means of sorting this out.  Apologies if you have
> been through all this already, but in the case where you live at an
> address that previously got bad debt you can put on file that you
> are not associated with the previous tenants.
>
> This can also be done when people at the same address but
> independent of you cause problems, for example I know a case where a
> father's problems with the Inland Revenue (as it was) prevented his
> son from getting a mortgage due to the bad credit record of family
> member at same address.  The son just had to write to the credit
> reporting agency to state that his finances were not related to the
> father's, and it was sorted out.  If the credit reporting agency did
> not exist then perhaps the son would have no way to get an
> affordable mortgage due to how much higher the interest rate would
> have to be to compensate.
>
> Now, some companies still choose to see bad debt at an address to
> mean that they should not do business with that address, but that is
> completely their own choice and to say it shouldn't happen is to
> dictate who they should be allowed to trade with.  In individual
> cases it may not be fair, but that's business, and is actually an
> argument FOR using credit reporting agencies more.
>
> Finally, if you are being harassed by debt collectors, this is
> illegal.  All you need do is write to them to explain why the debt
> is not owed (in this case because you're not the people they are
> after) and that they should not contact you again.  If they do
> continue to go after you then this is harassment of a debtor and it
> is an offence which you can take them to court over.
>
> I do not see how any of these circumstances could be improved by
> doing away with the central records, and in many cases I could
> imagine it getting worse.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
> --

Thanks for the info. Andy. I should have sai I've owned this house
for 6 years and everything was satisfactorily resolved some time ago,
in fact I got a bank loan in the interim, all was ok. However, I
still smart at the memories. I can see that these central records are
necessary. It's to be hoped that the accuracy can be improved. I just
feel for those that are going thro' the trauma of mistaken bad debt
listing.
Clare