Re: [LUG] Identity theft (continuing topic)

On Wednesday 28 November 2007 08:47, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 08:01:46AM +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
> > Also this infomation should be available to you for free - surely under
> > current data protection legislation you have a right to ask what
> > information they hold on you.
>
> Wishful thinking! :D See www.ico.gov.uk for the exemptions and details
>
> I believe under the Freedom of Information Act, people are allowed to set a
> reasonable charge for providing the data. In the case of the credit
> agencies this has been set at £2
This really ought to be challenged somehow. This is the key part of their
business (doing the check) and if it much more complicated than
select ..../print/post (ie about 50p) then we are being penalised by the
companies incompetence.
What I find disgusting is that these companies make money out of MY
information and expect me to pay to have it checked. I shouldn't have to
subsidise their attempt to save money and increase their profits. Its a bit
like those old 'gene' patents - companies hold the patent on a gene so any
drugs/treatments relating to that gene had to pay - but the companies tried
to absolve themselves of any responsibility for the problems.
Some say £2 isnt much - well give me 50p for everyone in this country with a
bank account for ...  well nothing , and I'll send you a postcard from a nice
beach!
Hey I have a car and can use it to make a profit but I don't have to have pay
for any damage I cause with it??????
Tom te tom te tom