Re: [LUG] Router suggestion?

Keith Abraham wrote:
> My ancient Origo 8400 is beginning to show signs of distress so I'm
> in the market for a reasonably priced new router. I'm not interested in
> wireless but as it's used for connecting to the Internet it should have
> a firewall and 4 ports.
>
> Any suggestions anyone?

Hi Keith,

A lot depends on your budget.  Also do you want a combined DSL
modem/router or just the basic wired router?

Having said that I'm having trouble finding a wired router that
*doesn't* have the modem built in.  They can be picked up from Ebuyer
from as little as £17 +pnp+VAT.

Even a decent make like a Belkin, D-Link or USR is around the £20 mark.

The wireless, which fair enough you're not interested in, come in around
£30 for a decent make, starting lower at £25 for a Dynamode.

It seems that 4 ports are the minimum requirement these days, although
some 'access points' only have one.

My own router is a Netgear FWG114P - probably more than you want to
spend as it is currently holding its' price just over £100 two years
after I bought it, as it is a 4 port broadband router with wireless and
built in print server.

Kind regards,

Julian