Re: [LUG] Credit scoring (was Re: Identity theft (continuing topic))

On 28 Nov 2007, at 13:13, Andy Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 12:40:54PM +0000, Clare Shepherd wrote:
>>> I agree with Tom, it's not as if the credit giving companies are
>>> making massive losses, and where they are (mortgage debacle) then
>>> that's their own fault and a risk of trading. These bodies, banks,
>>> insurance companies etc. all seem to think
>>> we should pay for their mistakes.
>
> a) Experian et al are not credit giving companies
>
> b) Without Experian et al, the credit providers would simply pass on
>    the costs rather than absorbing the loss.
>
> so who is your beef really with?  In your text above none of it is
> attributable to credit scoring services, it's just a general rant so
> I'm not clear how you can "agree with Tom" when the thread is
> actually about credit scoring.
>
> No argument from me that there are some shocking practices in the
> credit industry.  Excessive government intervention in (what are
> supposed to be) free markets also has its problems though.. it's
> another topic.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
> --

Sorry, I deleted a clause, but didn't redo, I know Experian et al.
don't give credit, but surely their sources are the credit giving
companies, or have I misunderstood. I suppose my beef is with the
fact that people's lives can be affected by their credit rating, when
the rating is mistaken. I live in a house where the previous occupant
skipped the country owing the Inland Revenue, their employer, a bank,
and the DHSS. I was hassled for months and even had phone abuse from
the previous occupants creditors when I stated I didn't know where
they were. Sorry if the touchiness on the subject led to a rant, as
you so accurately said.

i suppose I was generally agreeing with the following statements:

>> What I find disgusting is that these companies make money out of MY
>> information
>>

> ...that is publically available or that they pay for...
>

>> and expect me to pay to have it checked.
>>

> You would rather that you had no opportunity to correct mistakes made
> by the companies that feed data to the credit clearing houses then?
>

>> I shouldn't have to subsidise their attempt to save money and
>> increase their profits.

Sorry that I let my crossness get the better of my brain.
Clare