Re: [LUG] Router suggestion?

On Wednesday 28 November 2007 17:04, Julian Hall wrote:
> Keith Abraham wrote:
> > My ancient Origo 8400 is beginning to show signs of distress so I'm
> > in the market for a reasonably priced new router. I'm not interested in
> > wireless but as it's used for connecting to the Internet it should have
> > a firewall and 4 ports.
> >
> > Any suggestions anyone?
>
> Hi Keith,
>
> A lot depends on your budget.  Also do you want a combined DSL
> modem/router or just the basic wired router?
>
> Having said that I'm having trouble finding a wired router that
> *doesn't* have the modem built in.  They can be picked up from Ebuyer
> from as little as £17 +pnp+VAT.
>
> Even a decent make like a Belkin, D-Link or USR is around the £20 mark.
>
> The wireless, which fair enough you're not interested in, come in around
> £30 for a decent make, starting lower at £25 for a Dynamode.
I have a Belkin ADSL/4 port cat5/wireless that cost about £35. Its fine most
of the time but when BT mess about it can overheat and needs a few mins to
cool down before it works properly again - but it only goes wrong when the
broadband is down anyway!
I'd say its ok for home use but you'd probably want something a bit more
stable for 'business' use.
Tom te tom te tom