Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

On 26/03/07, Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
> > I have to agree with Tom here,   I am trying to encourage new users to
> > switch to Linux and free software,  join the lug and chatrooms etc,
> > however feel that arguments regarding distro based on how much free
> > software is actually in there,  is not helpful,  At the end of the day a
> > user wants a working system, if the solution is to use non free drivers
> > then so be it,   we just explain the difference,  and campaign to get
> > more free drivers.
>
> What if the user wants Photoshop? Microsoft Office? Flash?
> Proprietary codecs? Nvidious or ATI drivers? RealPlayer? Adobe
> Acrobat? Opera?
>
> If we're going to start promoting proprietary software, or even
> recommending it to people, then I think we're failing as an
> organisation.

Sorry matt, you're wrong.

When I started this organisation with Alex almost 10 years ago, I
didn't envision it being a home for free software police, which is how
you're coming accross.

I saw it as somewhere to get help, support and discuss stuff. This
thread falls under the last topic, and isn't what the LUG is all about
IMHO.

I think we're succeding if we get more people to use more linux and
free software - if somebody is using my or anybody elses free
software, whether it's on linux or windows, that's a cool thing.

Ideological purity has it's place, and it's never in the mainstream,
it's leading by example, without being preachy or fascist.

cheers,

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk