Re: [LUG] getgnulinux.org

On Monday 26 March 2007 13:48, Aaron Trevena wrote:

> When I started this organisation with Alex almost 10 years ago, I
> didn't envision it being a home for free software police, which is how
> you're coming accross.
>
> I saw it as somewhere to get help, support and discuss stuff. This
> thread falls under the last topic, and isn't what the LUG is all about
> IMHO.
>
> I think we're succeding if we get more people to use more linux and
> free software - if somebody is using my or anybody elses free
> software, whether it's on linux or windows, that's a cool thing.
>
> Ideological purity has it's place, and it's never in the mainstream,
> it's leading by example, without being preachy or fascist.
>
> cheers,
>
> A.

Like many others, I am following this "discussion" and had, until now,
resisted the urge to contribute.
Just thought I would add my support for the views of Aaron and a couple of
others who seem to be offering a sensible viewpoint.
This GLUG seems to be quite polarized - the FSF camp and the rest.
Whatever the FSF think, the majority of users call their system Linux, run
both free and non-free software and do not concern themselves with the
politics of their choices.
The dcglug is, as was mentioned in an early posting to this thread, quite
off-putting to many - both new and seasoned users of Linux, which is a shame.
Aaron mentions the aims of the lug when formed - and they are what I suspect
most people expect. Healthy debate is one thing, rabid fanaticism is another.
Whilst I respect the views of the fsf supporters, I believe they are actually
counter-productive in their quest to convert all users to free software with
their attitudes towards the majority.
My own views were covered extensively in a thread some time back, but for
those who missed them, I, like several others on the lug am happy to use
non-free software if it does what I need and the alternatives are not
suitable for me. And that is the point - suitable for me. gnewsense may work
fine for Matt, but not for me - I can't play 3d accelerated games for example
with that system.
I recall reading somewhere a while back as to the fact that there was a vote
regarding the name of the lug which resulted in the G being added. Perhaps we
seriously need to consider a similar vote to rename the group back to dclug?
Does the inclusion of G indicate that we are all FSF stalwarts?
Just a thought.
Regardless, if these discussions result in the loss of potential converts to
(GNU/) Linux, then that would be a great shame.  Maybe it would be possible
to have a seperate mailing list for "political" discussions withmaybe a
seperate subscription list - so the free/non free debate can be mulled over
without putting off those potential members who visit the main list?

Mark