Re: [LUG] Open Schools Alliance

On 07/12/06, Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 12:31:29PM +0000, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 10:45:38AM +0000, james kilty wrote:
> >

> > Anyway, does any one have any figures for how much MS charges schools
> > and how much a school could save by switching to Opensource?
> >
> I see from the press reports this morning that Gordon Brown "announced a
> £14bn package of increased borrowing and higher environmental taxes to
> fund extra investment in schools."
>
> http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article2054639.ece
>
> I wonder how much of this money is going to be wasted in unnecessary
> proprietary software, and hardware upgrades to support non
> cost-effective solutions

They were saying on GMTV that *EVERY* Classroom requires a digital
whiteboard, which is quite frankly bullshit.

We don't need to spend that money on IT in schools, we need to spend
it on getting some decent IT Skills in schools, decent food, a decent
syllabus.

Of course this is on top the 20Bn trident white elephant, and 40Bn ID
card white elephant, so thats 75Bn on what the americans call 'pork'.
Now I'm no tory, but I think there are some savings possible there :
probably around 70Bn of savings.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk