Re: [LUG] Open Schools Alliance

Aaron Trevena wrote:

>http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/reclaiming_ICT_education_why_free_software_is_a_necessity_in_schools
>
>Back on topic.. read the above article about why it's such a problem.
>The most popular and useful software to schools, such as moodle,
>isn't available through the BECTA framework.
>
>A.

Thanks for the link

I liked the ironic analysis that compared the "investigative" methods of
modern teaching now used on traditional subjects against the old fashion
"learn by route" methods used to teach (relatively new) ICT skills.  How
did we get in this topsy-turvey state ?

Its very sad to think how they could apoint someone with so much power
in BECTA who clearly understands so little about the open source / free
software model. Unfortunately the lines of demarcation between closed
source, open source and free software are blurred by the multiple types
of license that occur in the range between Microsoft and GNU. Perhaps we
need some sort of "kite" mark  to distinguish them better like most
appliances these days have an energy efficiency rating, perhaps we
should do something similar (for example A rated = GNU license X rated =
closed source)

Tom.