Re: [LUG] Open Schools Alliance

Aaron Trevena wrote:

>The open schools alliance is working to get Becta, DFES et al to sort
>their acts out and allow open source and small business to compete
>fairly for education - getting a much better deal for schools and
>colleges, and better IT for their pupils.
>
>http://www.openschoolsalliance.org/
>
>worth supporting and getting your local school to look into working with them.
>
>Cheers,
>
>A.

While I support the aims and aspirations of the Open Schools Alliance
whole heartedly, my experience of trying to get schools to try open
source or free software as an alternative has met with limited sucess,
unless of course you count my pet projects in developing nations where
they are only too happy to try something that gives them control over
their future........

I have offered to talk and demonstrate free software to my son's primary
school, I get smiles and nods and even "that might be a good idea" and
then hear nothing. The problem is that, one is dismissed as a one man
band "crank boffin" before you have even started, well they have a point
I suppose ..........

I do wonder how many schools will be suckered into adopting vista as
their new platform ....... shudder ........

Oh well keep trying ... keep smiling ......

Tom.